“Food from Northern Laos describes the dishes, ingredients and cooking arts of this scarcely known cuisine within its cultural context.”
Food from Northern Laos: The Boat Landing CookbookWinner of two Goumand World Cookbooks awards: Runner up Best Asian Cookbook (World) 2010, Best Cookbook for Lao PDR 2010
You’ll love this book if you:
- Want to know how to cook Lao dishes and what herbs and other ingredients and techniques to use
- Love travel books and social histories as well as cookbooks
- Are interested in different cultural food traditions and want a wider cultural understanding of Laos through the people and their food.
- Are a cook or chef wanting to explore different flavours and textures.
- Are health conscious and realise that the Lao balance of ingredients, using meat and fish in small quantities in vegetable dishes is a healthy way to eat.
- Are local or expat Lao who wants a “Lao food reference manual” with pictures and information about local food all in one place.
Check out some sample pages from the 200 page book “Food from Northern Laos: The Boat Landing Cookbook”:
The little known cultures and cuisine of northern Laos are the source of the recipes, contributed by Laos’ local ethnic groups and Luang Namtha Province’s oldest and most renown ecolodge.
Few outsiders have the opportunity to explore the foods of northern Laos in depth. Much of it is only available in people’s homes and villages or from the cooking pots of local stalls and markets. Restaurants generally present ‘pan Asian’ dishes to meet tourist’s expectations and the locals’ need for different tastes than a home cooked meal. Cookbooks on Lao food are scarce and until now, did not cover Lao cuisine north of Luang Prabang. But now, Food from Northern Laos describes the dishes, ingredients and cooking arts of this scarcely known cuisine within its cultural context. With this book, we hope Lao cooking will gain the recognition it deserves.
Eighty-eight dishes from Lao, Kmhmu’, Tai Dam, Tai Yuan, Tai Lue Akha are presented in clear, simple recipes. Sprengers’ stunning photography of the province’s people and, food preparation in village homes and at The Boat Landing Guest House and Restaurant ties the dishes to their indigenous setting. unique cookbook includes:
- A photo-illustrated glossary of ingredients and substitutions
- Descriptions of Lao preparation and cooking techniques
- An explanation of traditional cooking equipment
- A bibliography, including web links
- An 18 page comprehensive index in English, Lao transcription and Lao script
Publisher: Galangal Press ISBN 978-0-473-17236-7, 200 pages, full colour – more than 400 photos, crown quarto signature paperback