Sawtooth herb is used in jeow, eaten fresh and added to stews. It goes well with fish. It can be eaten raw as an accompaniment to papaya salad and with lahp. The Akha are partial to it. Use as a substitute for coriander leaves and some basils. Coriander leaves (cilantro) may be substituted for sawtooth herb. The herb is usually available in places where Vietnamese ingredients are sold. It grows in clumps, and is easily propagated by plant division.
Looking for the taste of Lao food?
Food from Northern Laos: The Boat Landing Cookbook
An encylopaedic resource for lovers of Lao food everywhere
Price US$29.95 plus P&P
- River weed or rock algae, Chlorophyta spirogyra ໄຄ່ິກ kai hin (raw); ໄຄແຜ່ນ kai paen, kai phaen, khai paen (dried sheets)
- Khao soi noodle making Tai Neua style
- Ginger, garlic and fermented soybean jeow
- How to make Khao Soi meat sauce Tai Neua style
- How Tai Neua make fermented soy bean paste for Khao soi noodles
Subscribe via Email
Galangal Press Ltd Waikato, NEW ZEALAND; also Chonburi, THAILAND.